Posting Guidelines

In your blog posts, I expect two to three paragraphs (around 180 words) in which your ideas are supported by musical or textual evidence. This means that along with giving your thoughts or opinions, you need to provide specific reasons why you have given that answer. Points are given based on your use of evidence and the length of your posts.

For full credit, you need to comment on at least one of your classmates’ responses. Since blog posts are due Sundays at 12:00pm, I will be checking for comments at 2pm. If you post your blog before everyone else, I expect you to come back to the blog later that weekend to post a comment. These comments should be two to three sentences long and be more than a simple “that’s cool,” “I agree,” or “You’re wrong.” It’s fine to disagree or support their point, but provide specific reasons why. Or, if you think of something interesting that relates to or builds on their point, feel free to share that as well.

Happy posting!

Prompt for Blog 3–Still Postponed

Hi everyone! I mistakenly mentioned in class that there is a blog due this weekend. In fact, Blog 3 is not scheduled for this weekend. Like I wrote in my previous update post, the prompt for our next blog will be posted on Wednesday March 4 with a due date of Sunday March 8.

Apologies for the confusion and best of luck with your topic proposals!

Blog post 2 Tanveer

I am going to write about Kyrie (monophonic) and Kyrie from the Pope Marcellus Mass. Monophony is a simple texture of music usually sung by one singer without any accompaniment and in Kyrie monophony had some similarities of monophony and it’s rhythm is going loud to soft (L<S) and there is no strong evidence of using any musical instrument either. The second one is a combination of harmony and other musical texture, it is similar to church music and different instrument has been used in this music. 

Prompt for Blog 3–POSTPONED

Because of our canceled classes, there will be no blog due for this weekend (2/23). Instead, take this time to review for our upcoming quiz on Wednesday February 26 or begin researching a topic for the Music and… Playlist.

The prompt for our next blog will be posted on Wednesday March 4 with a due date of Sunday March 8.

Blog 2, Lema

The two musical pieces i have chosen to write about is Kyrie (monophonic) and Kyrie from the Pope Marcellus Mass. For Kyrie (monophonic) there are several musical elements within the piece. The first element being the melody which “can be understood as a unit of pitches (or tones) sounded in succession” (Cornelius 66), in this particular piece I would say has a short range for the high notes Because they don’t go for long but the low notes do go for a bit longer. For scale which “consist of ascending and descending steps”, I could say is both ascending and descending throughout the song. For rhythm, the tempo is overall notes are slower or andante. The harmony is dissonant with more vocals that sound dark and deep making it dissonant. As for the texture, it would be monophony because throughout the piece it is just “one single musical line with no accompaniment”(Cornelius 93) and only an echo otherwise but either way just one musical line. The element this piece doesn’t have is timbre which is the part of the music where an instrument would go in but this song is only vocals.
The other musical piece I have chosen is Kyrie from the Pope Marcellus Mass. To begin the melody it has a long distance between the high and low notes which can contrast to the other musical piece that only had a pong range for the low notes. This would be called a disjunct range which is a long distance between pitches. The scale has more of major pitches throughout the song that can contrast against the other song as well. For the rhythm it tempo I say is adagio which means “at ease”(Cornelius 83). The harmony is I would say consonant with a background pitch of some dissonant notes maybe. As for the Texture could be heterophony, because it is one single line but there are other performers singing it slightly different. The dynamic is from mezza-forte to fortissimo which is a crescendo. Just like the other piece it doesn’t contain a timbre.

Blog 2, Du

The pieces I have chosen to listen to are Kyrie (monophonic) and Kyrie from the Pope Marcellus Mass. In the musical piece Kyrie (monophonic) the musical elements I find most prevalent are melody and rhythm. Melody is a unit of tones sounded in succession-one after another. Rhythm is defined as a pattern of beats determined by the strength of beats. I’ve noticed that the melody in this piece contain conjunct and disjunct pitches. The rhythm of the music goes from a loud to soft pitch repetition. This piece does not have harmony for several reasons. This example is monophonic, which means that there will not be any accompaniment throughout the piece. Also, I have come to believe that this piece would not sound as beautiful if there were to be accompaniment.

In Kyrie from Pope Marcellus Mass, the musical elements that stood out to me the most are melody, rhythm and harmony. The melody in this piece is conjunct and disjunct. I believe the harmony is very consonant, this piece reminds me of holy music, or church music. The harmony of the male and female vocals sounded perfect when combined.

Blog 2, Pietrzak

The two musical pieces I chose were Kyrie from the Pope Marcellus Mass and Alapana from “Sitar, Sarode, and Tabla.” In Alapana, one of the musical elements that was present was harmony. Harmony is “the sounding of two or more pitches at the same time” and in this song, you can tell there are multiple different instruments being played at the same time. In this piece, there is also timbre, which is the the particular sound of an instrument that makes it unique. The sound of the instruments in the background made the song I also believe this piece is biphony, two separate lines consisting of a melody and a drone.

In Kyrie from the Pope Marcellus Mass, the harmony was very consonant, it sounded very smooth and pleasing although there were multiple different singers. In kyrie, there is also texture being presented, which is the ways in which different musical parts fit together. I believe this song is heterophony, as there are multiple different voices singing at the same time, which makes the song sound very beautiful. This song also had an example of dynamics, there were certain parts of the song that both crescendo and decrescendo

Blog 2 Lalmiyev

The two musical pieces that I am choosing are Kyrie (monophonic); and Kyrie from the Pope Marcellus Mass. Before playing these songs I had no expectations tied to Kyrie (monophonic) however, with the second one the word “mass” suggested to me that it would include monks. When listening to these two compositions three musical elements stood out to me. Melody, harmony and texture (monophony)

Melody is a unit of pitches sounded in succession, in a simpler ways this means it is different levels of sound following each other. In Kyrie (monophonic) you can hear the different voices singing one line of music which brings us to texture. Texture is the way different musical parts fit together in this case its Monophony which is a single musical line without an accompaniment. Lastly, harmony is presented in this piece. Harmony is The sounding of two or  more pitches at the same time. Once the song starts you can hear people of different pitches singing along although, not every singer is singing in the same pitch you can hear them categorized together.

Similarly, when listening to Kyrie from the Pope of Marcellus Mass these three elements were persistent. With this composition harmony is evident with the high and low voices singing together. As well as these singers with different pitches being grouped up and following one another and lastly, it wasn’t accompanied by any musical instruments because at that time this music was wildly listened in the Church and instrumental music wasn’t accepted.

Blog 2, Mak

I listened to Missa IX (Cum Jubilo) and Gloria – Missa Papae Marcelli – Palestrina and used Texture, Harmony, and Rhythm to form a connection between the two pieces.

Harmony is the sound of two or more pitches at the same time, Texture is the ways the musical parts connect with each other, and Rhythm is how long the pitches last for.

In terms of Texture, Missa IX (Cum Jubilo) is a monophony because it is a single independent voice with a harmonic beat behind him. In Gloria – Missa Papae Marcelli – Palestrina, it is a polyphony because it is a mass with different independent lines singing different volumes of pitches which relates to Harmony because with multiple connections of pitches it can create a consonant which sounds pleasing because the pitches aren’t far apart. In the first song, it is a single pitch, however, there is a consistent humming in the background as well as an echo within his voice which mixes well with each other to form a consonant. The humming can relate to the beat of the song, which is part of Rhythm. In the first song, the tempo is consistent throughout, but in the second song, it changes every other second with added pauses in the middle.

When I listened to the songs, I just focused on one sound throughout and repeated it with each voice when I replayed it. I would check off the elements that were included as well and focused on that one element and see how it would connect to the song and repeated it with other parts.

Blog 2, Bhatnagar

The two music pieces I chose to listen to were Alapan from Sitar, Sarode and Tabla and Kyrie from the Pope Marcellus Mass. Harmony occurs when at least two different pitches sound at the same time, such as when two people sing together with different material or when a musician strums the strings of a guitar. In this example, in Kyrie from the Pope Marcellus Mass, I can tell that there are multiple voices, maybe men and female voices. All of the voices collaborating together makes it such a peaceful tone to listen to. Not in any way throughout these whole pieces did it sound harsh or annoying to listen to. Whereas in Alapan from Sitar, Sarode and Tabla, the musical instruments which are the sarode, tabla and sitar combined all made the piece sound very pleasant and relaxing. I’ve noticed that both of these music pieces had very calm and a consonant pitch.

Every sound has a particular color or timbre and it is through timbre that you can tell the difference. In this case, while the instruments were being played, you can tell which specific instrument or voice was playing when. All though they were all put together to create this whole music piece, they had times where one was playing more often than the other or the sound/instrument shows out more, but overall both the pieces did it in a very neat manner. This also ties back to the texture of the piece which is defined as how the harmonic materials are combined in a composition, thus determining the overall quality of the sound in a piece. The music pieces made me realize that music isn’t just a simple exercise and there is always more to it because it is very complicated than a technical evaluation due to how everything is put together. 

Throughout both of the pieces, the same number of chords are being played repeatedly as well which are known as a group of (typically three or more) notes sounded together, as a basis of harmony, to give it that pleasing sounds. 

Blog 2, Iraheta

The two pieces of music I decided to listen two were the Kyrie(Monophonic) and the kyrie from the Pope Marcellus Mass.

For the first, this piece is monophonic as there is multiple people singing but they are singing the same thing. This means that despite there being multiple voices, it is still monophonic. In addition to this, due to the fact that there is no instruments, the timbre of this song doesn’t include any strings, woodwinds, percussions, or brasses. The volume of this piece is varied, as there are some crescendos, where it goes from softer to louder and some decrescendo, which goes from louder to softer.

For the next piece, this ones texture is a heterophony, as there are many people but they are singing the same melody differently. This ones rhythm is also a bit faster. The harmony in this piece is consonant, which is when they sound pleasing and good to the ear.

Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message