Home » Blog 9 » Blog 9 Matute

Blog 9 Matute

The presentation I found intriguing is Music and Breakups. This topic itself discusses relationships in the stage of grief when everything has come to an end. Breakups are usually really upsetting, which is why many artists use music to express their emotions. Music and breakups also envoke feelings that both the listener and the writer understand, providing support and comfort for anyone going through a similar situation. As for the songs presented, it gives us a connection between how music and breakups have been relevant for a long time. The music usually associated with the topic is usually real which adds to the personal feeling and vulnerability that people can relate too.

If I had written about this topic, one of the songs I would have chosen would be, “Triggered (freestyle)”. In this song Aiko is reflecting on her past relationships and expressing her emotions that have been bottled up for a long time. The lyrics express a lot of anger which many people fell after they have been wronged in a relationship. Breakups not only involve waves of sadness but also anger and anxiety which is shown in the lyrics written, “Who am I kiddin’? Knew from the beginning. / You’d ruin everything, you do it every time. / You are my enemy, you are no friend of mind, muhfucker” The song’s biggest impact comes from the lyrics along with the tempo that is at a slow-paced, helping convey the pain and frustrations she is going through.

The second song I would have chosen is “I’m a Survivor” by Destiny”s Child. The song is considered an anthem for women, it describes being able to survive any situation given in life. This song relates to breakups because the person always reaches an epitome in which they realize they will be fine without the other person. In this stage of a breakup the person becomes stronger and prospers which is exactly what the song describes. The faster tempo of this song and the high pitches make the listener feel empowered which reflects how you feel once you start to heal from a breakup.