Home » Blog 1 » Blog 1 Wang M

Blog 1 Wang M

The Twentieth-Century was a period of time full of new innovations that included advanced technology which made life a lot easier in modern society. This period of time really excites me the most because all the genres of music, movies, and games that are enjoyed by everyone are created during the twentieth century. The textbook stated that a Hungarian composer by the name of Bela Bartok (1881-1945) and other music researcher was able to create a new field in the world of science called comparative musicology, which was used to compare the traditional music of all the different part of the world and be combined to make a new music. Then in 1960, the term world music was emerged to describe this type of music.

The composer I chose was Jerome Kern (1885-1978) because after listening to his music kind of sound like it from the Classical Period but also at the same time it has the background notes that are from the Twentieth-Century. At first, I did not expect the music to be this peaceful and smooth but at the same time, it doesn’t sound like a piece of music from the Twentieth-Century.

1. Very informative blog post. Also very interesting time period of music, as there was a ton of innovation. I believe in class we mentioned they even used computers to compose certain songs, which is really new and different compared to the other periods.