Home » Blog 6 » Blog 6, Lema

Blog 6, Lema

Since both of my parents were born in Ecuador, I will be discussing the genre called Sanjuanito which is a form of music that goes along with a type of waltz that we mostly refer to as Danza. Sanjuanito, while has now become the “national rhythm of Ecuador”, it can be linked to pre-Columbian dances but is possible goes back further in time. Sanjuanito is mix of indigenous culture and mestizo culture as well. This type of music is played with indigenous instruments such as the pinguillo (a type of flute), rondador(type of panpipe), bandolin (type of chordophone), and the dulzania (similar to oboe). This music also has foreign instruments as well such as drums, guitars, etc. Dancers are wearing bright colored capes and most of the time danced in pairs and in ponchos. Sanjuanito is danced to honor a relationship to mother earth or to celebrate one’s national indentity. This dance is still being danced today, in Ecuador as well as here in the US in parties. This song in particular is part of the San Juanito genre.

1. I found it very interesting how we can be from the same country but still have completely different styles of music. As we are from different parts of Ecuador I can see the change in the dancing and instruments used. I appreciate the traditional clothing and the representation it has for Ecuador.