Home » Blog 5 » Yi, Blog 5

Yi, Blog 5

The type of performance that I would be the most comfortable watching as an audience member is a jazz club because the environment is loud and hectic. I am the type of person who finds it difficult to fit in with others unless I get comfortable. I feel like from the four choices given, this is the only place where I won’t stand out or get that much attention from. At a jazz club, I would expect to hear a lot of different instruments and see people interacting a lot through the music. As a listener, I would be expected to be able to listen to the people and those playing the instruments in a casual manner rather than just quietly listening. 

The type of performance that I would be the least comfortable watching as an audience member is the chamber music recital because the environment is so closed and widely focused on the people in front playing the instruments. Since it is a calmer environment compared to the others, I do not think that I can fit in because it would be awkward for me and I would stand out too much if I did something wrong. At a chamber music recital, I would expect to hear nothing but the people playing instruments. As a listener, I would be expected to quietly listen to the music that the people upfront are playing.

I have seen bands performing in school for high school and middle school concerts. I can relate this to the chamber music recital because the performance would take place in an auditorium, the space would be closed. Also, the audience sitting would have their focus only on the students upfront playing their instruments. It would not be an environment where you could talk or move around. The audience would also be expected to politely listen to the students.

1. I agree with the fact that the least comfortable place watching as an audience member would the be chamber music recital. Just because it’s such a small place and you get very nervous because if you move by accident or drop something you feel like all the eyes are glaring at you. Although we can’t talk like we could in a jazz club it is still quite nice because the music can be very soothing to listen to.