Home » Posts » Blog 2, Mak

Blog 2, Mak

I listened to Missa IX (Cum Jubilo) and Gloria – Missa Papae Marcelli – Palestrina and used Texture, Harmony, and Rhythm to form a connection between the two pieces.

Harmony is the sound of two or more pitches at the same time, Texture is the ways the musical parts connect with each other, and Rhythm is how long the pitches last for.

In terms of Texture, Missa IX (Cum Jubilo) is a monophony because it is a single independent voice with a harmonic beat behind him. In Gloria – Missa Papae Marcelli – Palestrina, it is a polyphony because it is a mass with different independent lines singing different volumes of pitches which relates to Harmony because with multiple connections of pitches it can create a consonant which sounds pleasing because the pitches aren’t far apart. In the first song, it is a single pitch, however, there is a consistent humming in the background as well as an echo within his voice which mixes well with each other to form a consonant. The humming can relate to the beat of the song, which is part of Rhythm. In the first song, the tempo is consistent throughout, but in the second song, it changes every other second with added pauses in the middle.

When I listened to the songs, I just focused on one sound throughout and repeated it with each voice when I replayed it. I would check off the elements that were included as well and focused on that one element and see how it would connect to the song and repeated it with other parts.

1. I liked how when describing one musical element in Missa Papae Marcelli – Palestrina you connected it to another musical element. Those elements were Texture (polyphony) and Harmony which fit hand in hand.

2. I agree with the in terms of the texture of Missa X it being the tempo monophony as I put that in my response as well because of there only being one single vocal throughout. But for Missa Papae Marcelli – Palestrina I selected that it was hetreophony with a single basic melody performed differently by other performers, but it is interesting to see another opinion and point of view on this.