Home » Posts » Blog 2, Bhatnagar

Blog 2, Bhatnagar

The two music pieces I chose to listen to were Alapan from Sitar, Sarode and Tabla and Kyrie from the Pope Marcellus Mass. Harmony occurs when at least two different pitches sound at the same time, such as when two people sing together with different material or when a musician strums the strings of a guitar. In this example, in Kyrie from the Pope Marcellus Mass, I can tell that there are multiple voices, maybe men and female voices. All of the voices collaborating together makes it such a peaceful tone to listen to. Not in any way throughout these whole pieces did it sound harsh or annoying to listen to. Whereas in Alapan from Sitar, Sarode and Tabla, the musical instruments which are the sarode, tabla and sitar combined all made the piece sound very pleasant and relaxing. I’ve noticed that both of these music pieces had very calm and a consonant pitch.

Every sound has a particular color or timbre and it is through timbre that you can tell the difference. In this case, while the instruments were being played, you can tell which specific instrument or voice was playing when. All though they were all put together to create this whole music piece, they had times where one was playing more often than the other or the sound/instrument shows out more, but overall both the pieces did it in a very neat manner. This also ties back to the texture of the piece which is defined as how the harmonic materials are combined in a composition, thus determining the overall quality of the sound in a piece. The music pieces made me realize that music isn’t just a simple exercise and there is always more to it because it is very complicated than a technical evaluation due to how everything is put together. 

Throughout both of the pieces, the same number of chords are being played repeatedly as well which are known as a group of (typically three or more) notes sounded together, as a basis of harmony, to give it that pleasing sounds. 

1. I liked how you thoroughly explained the harmony of the two and even identified the musical instruments used in the songs and connected that to timbre. Maybe there should have been identification of the type of texture like you identified the instruments and I agree that it was tough to realize the connection to music in general.