Home » Posts » Blog 4, Kim

Blog 4, Kim

There’s a man in the shadows talking on the phone, walking down a sidewalk. He’s muttering directions to himself as he gets startled by the sound of a dog barking in the distance, feeling out of place in the predominantly white neighborhood. There’s a car moving steadily down the block, and the man thinks nothing of it, thinking his nerves are getting the best of him. It comes back with a smooth turn, following him for a few seconds, and the driver gets out from the running car, unknown as the audience nor the man who turns to look, knows where he is, until the driver is kidnapping him.

Some of the diegetic sounds such as the music is the song “Run Rabbit Run” by Flanagan and Allen, which is coming from the car. There’s also the quiet sounds of crickets and the dog barking in the distance, as the man ends his phone call to the other person. The sound of the car moving down the street, and the turn. The dragging of the unconscious man’s feet towards the car, with the click of the trunk, and slamming of the car door. Nondiegetic sounds could be the ending notes of the violin which show along with the Universal pictures logo and associations.

The music of “run rabbit run” adds a sense of almost normalcy to the scene, a calm before the storm, before the music gets louder, and signals urgency. The start of the music signals the beginning of the plot, and tells the audience to start paying attention, that this is where it all comes back to. The ending notes of the violin are solely for the audience, with its haunting dissonance of just a few notes, is very telling of how stifling creepy the kidnapping is, and how it’s all happening right in front of residences where they either don’t know what’s going on outside their doors, or they’re all in on it, not caring. When watching the clip without sound, you can’t tell if the scene starts off with the musical track or not, desensitizing the audience from what’s happening in front of them. They can’t hear the violin, nor the song, and it’s just a kidnapping, no one can tell if people noticed the kidnapping taking place, or if the entire neighborhood is silent, which could indicate compliancy by not noticing the loud music and yells.

1. I like how you mentioned that the music is like, a calm before the storm. I agree with you that the music/violin intensifies the situation showing how creepy the kidnapping is. I like how you used dissonance, it is not something I thought of which was very cool. Your explanation with the music and violin is very well thought.

2. I enjoyed that you included the song that was playing in the background because I didn’t know what song it was. I thought that the man could have got set up and the music from the car could be foreshadowing that you have to run from the people that kidnapped him.