Home » Posts » Blog 6 Mak

Blog 6 Mak

My parents originated in Malaysia, but similar to America there are some diversity in Malaysia with Indians, Malaysians, and Chinese people dominating the majority of the race in Malaysia. When I do visit them, they mainly still listen to Chinese Pop. Traditional Chinese people would wear a Hanfu similar to a Japanese Kimono and perform their music but in the modern era, this tradition is not as popular.

To my knowledge, Chinese people listen to pop music like western English music and Chinese pop music or C-pop similar to western pop music but in Chinese. In some Chinese pop music like others, uses English words in their lyrics quite often. However, mainly in old traditions they mainly use string instruments like the Erhu, Guqin, and Dizi.

So like K-pop the formatting is similar, but the C-pop is mainly appreciated amongst our own community, unlike K-pop which has a heavy influence in western society currently. They mainly create a smooth flowing tone throughout the music, especially with the string instruments. The traditional Chinese music is different from the current Chinese pop because it’s leaning towards a mix between Western Pop and Traditional Chinese Music. However, this Chinese pop shows the string instruments mainly used in Chinese culture and modern Chinese pop.

1. Hi, I was unaware that Chinese people dominated a majority in Malaysia which was pretty cool. I’ve never heard of instruments such as Erhu, Guqin, and Dizi and when I searched them up it was really nice listening to them. I like how you decided to compare it to K-pop and bring in some parts of traditional chinese music.