Home » Posts » Blog 6 Lalmiyev

Blog 6 Lalmiyev

When discussing what encompasses one’s individual’s ethnicity certain customs come to mind. My parents are Jewish immigrants who migrated from Russia to the United states in the early 1990’s. Throughout their transition and assimilation into the American lifestyle certain cultural customs were kept intact and non-wavering.

An example of this is lighting candles before sundown on Friday evenings to being in the Sabbath. While lighting candles the females of the family gather around while singing a prayer song as well as praying from the heart. The prayer say is Barukh ata Adonai Eloheinu, Melekh ha’olam, asher kid’shanu b’mitzvotav v’tzivanu l’hadlik ner shel  which translates into Shabbat. Blessed are You, LORD our God, King of the universe, Who has sanctified us with His commandments and commanded us to light the Shabbat candle[s]. After this we sing Shalom Aleichem which translates to Peace be upon you to bring in the Sabbath.

During Sabbath we are not allowed to play instruments or use technology so the voice ( which is a gift by god) is used. Since there is no instrumental accompaniment and it is one single line of music if would illustrate itself as monophony.

In the video linked on the bottom there is a violin accompaniment to the song. however, it wouldn’t be played once sunsets

1. I think it is very interesting how the music is without instruments because of your culture. Despite being without instruments, the song holds a beautiful melody that is up-lifting. I also like how the music has a greater purpose that is to give glory to God.

2. I find this relatable and very interesting. The song creates joy and culture even without the instruments in the background. I love the purpose and connection of the song.