Home » Posts » Blog 3, Mak

Blog 3, Mak

The musical technology I will be selecting is the piano, a large musical instrument that is played with 88 keys: 36 black and 52 white. There are different variations such as a grand piano and electric piano, with spin-off versions like the melodica.

The piano was created to provide a keyboard that could play both soft and loud, sustain notes, and do all this with the given set of keys. The way it’s created, there is a pedal that allows you to sustain the music or change the dynamics when it is pressed. My fastest reaction to the question “in a way it wasn’t designed for” is a comedic use of dropping the piano on top of something or someone in shows and such. I used to play the piano slightly, but school causes depression so I got lazy. It is, however, a wonderful instrument!

Although it was a simple piece, I chose Nocturnal Waltz– Johannes Bornlöf because it only uses the piano throughout the music and the use of the piano allowed the piece to flow because it sustained notes to overlap and left a consistent hum.

1. After listening to this song I can hear the flow of sounds and all of it just comes together. I agree the piano is used many times in cartoons to add a comedic aspect.

2. I find that your research of the musical instrument seems to be accurate. Your description of the instrument is shown to be true by the piece of music you have chosen.