Home » Blog 2 » Blog 2 Yi

Blog 2 Yi

The two musical pieces that I chose to talk about are Kyrie (monophonic) and Kyrie from the Pope Marcellus Mass. The first musical element that I would like to discuss regarding Kyrie (monophonic) is the melody of it. Melody is defined as the unit of pitches (or tones) sounded in succession. The melody in this particular piece sounded like a group of people singing in one voice. There are multiple people singing but because they are singing at the same time with the same pitch it sounds like there is one person singing with a single voice.

The second musical element that I would like to discuss regarding Kyrie from the Pope Marcellus Mass is harmony. Harmony is the sounding of two or more pitches at the same time. In this piece, you can clearly hear the different voices singing. You can hear the male and female voices distinctively and how males were singing the lower pitch while the female were singing the higher pitches. The third musical element that I would like to discuss tempo. Tempo is defined as the speed at which a piece of music or part is played. The tempo for both of these musical pieces were slow. It helped make the environment seem calm and relaxed.

1. I agree with your statement when you said that although there were a number of different people singing at the same time, all in different pitches, they sometimes sounded like it was just one person singing. In addition to that, the songs by Kyrie did sound pretty slow and relaxed than the other piece we heard.

2. Hey! I also feel that slow music is more soothing and peaceful because they won’t have random sounds of any type of harsh or music that one wouldn’t want to listen to. I liked how you noticed exactly how the pitches of both the females and males have in the music piece and I also think it relates to how the pitches in general of female and male usually are. I also agree with when you said that there are different people singing. Overall, I agree a lot with what you said!