Home » Posts » Bhatnagar, Blog 6

Bhatnagar, Blog 6

Both of my parents are from India. The most famous dance is bollywood dance. It is a mixture of numerous styles. These styles include belly-dancing, kathak, Indian folk, Western popular, and “modern”, jazz, and even Western erotic dancing. Some of the main instruments used are Piano, Tabla, Guitar ( electric ), Synthesizer, Keyboard, Trumpets, Saxophonesetc. In my culture we still use these dances, but now there is a mix of bhangra even in hindu culture. Bollywood dance originated in India, around Bombay, in the 20th century and is dancing that we now see in Indian films. By the 1980s Bollywood started to incorporate Western dance styles such as Hip – Hop Dance, using bigger troupes, more intricate costumes and dancing in many different locations. The purpose of Bollywood dance is to tell a story or send out a message. Bollywood dancing is mostly in Bollywood movies because the dance adapts to the story line. For example if a girl falls in love with a boy, the dance will be about a girl chasing around a boy, while she is dancing. The style of dancing in earlier Bollywood films was based on Indian classical dance or folk dances from various parts of India. In the late 50s & 60s, group dances began to evolve in Bollywood as films and choreographers started managing larger groups of dancers with influences from folk dances.

1. I find Bollywood so interesting and have seen a few videos on YouTube about the different styles. The history of Bollywood was eye-opening since I didn’t know much about it too.