Home » Blog 9 » Blog 9 Felorian

Blog 9 Felorian

Two music entries were connected to Music and Childhood. The first piece was “Do-Re-Mi” by Julie Andrews. In the middle of the song Julie Andrews sings, “Once we have these notes in our heads, we can sing a million different tunes”. This is beneficial for a child because throughout one’s life they will hear a variety of songs, and this is the base for any song. This piece is usually introduced to kids when they first go to school. So the time and place of the social context is well interlocked with this song. In the video one can also see a woman leading the song that the kids are listening to, similar to a classroom environment. I agree in the song there was a clear and consistent pitch. This relates to a constant harmony that is heard in the chorus of the song. The second entry was “7 Years” by Lukas Graham. One line from this song is “I only see my goals, I don’t believe in failure”. As kids grow up, they will notice they are not perfect. This is an important lesson for them to learn, because the time will come where they will feel not good enough and instead of giving up they have to continue pursuing their dreams. The social context of this song is interesting since it mentions a majority of ages that people can relate to personally. Not only does it talk about the past, but it also talks about the future. From the age of seven to sixty one, a lot of social values are met and talking about drugs and family help discuss the social context. I think tempo is a great musical characteristic to bring up, because from the beginning of the song to the end there was a steady beat that did not change paste. The time units in the beats were in proportion. 

If this was my topic, I would pick two songs similar to the genre. The first song I would add is “Brave” by Sara Bareilles. Although teachers may not play this song for kids at school, a handful of girls stumble upon this song during their childhood. The social context relates to my topic Music and Femininity, because in the past and currently in 2020, too often girls are told they need to be put together and that their worth is not even a comparison to males. However, Sara Bareilles includes lyrics that make girls think otherwise: “Say what you wanna say, and let the words fall out”. This song encourages girls to find their voices and start speaking up when they feel something is not right. Another song girls may run into at a young age is “Fight Song” by Rachel Plattern. One line that stood out to me is, “I might only have one match but I can make an explosion”. This is a significant meaning to reveal, because girls are because girls can be put down and be told they are not good enough by boys, making them feel small. This song helps prove anyone that believes that wrong. Girls have the strength to fight any barriers in their way. One musical characteristic that relates to both of these songs is the rhythm. They actually follow the same beat, and carry a steady rhythmic pulse. Quite a few of my own entries had a well timed rhythm as well. 

Youtube Link for “Brave”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUQsqBqxoR4

Youtube Link for “Fight Song”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo1VInw-SKc

1. I liked how you chose “Brave”, that was an unexpected flashback to when I was younger. It’s definitely an empowering song for everyone, including girls/women. I’ve never listened to your second pick, however that particular lyric really resonates with the overall message that childhood and feminism have in common, which is that from a young age children are not really heard. Not in the way they would like, and the song’s lyrics shows how we learn to be strong, and to gain confidence, more self esteem for ourselves, so we can be who we want to be.

2. Hi! Im so happy to see that you chose my presentation! I love the way you connected my entries to my topic. I especially liked the lyrics that you chose to speak about. I didn’t even think of those lyrics and the meaning behind them.But, now that you brought them up, those lyrics are very meaningful. I especially liked the lyric that you mentioned: “I only see my goals, I don’t believe in failure”. That is definitely an important message for children growing up. They feel that because they are not perfect, they are not good but in reality as they grow up they may realize how everyone has flaws and made mistakes. Everyone should just focus on the positive and their goals!