Home » Blog 3 » Blog 3 Matute

Blog 3 Matute

Musical technology has come a long way to help ease the creation and production of music. The microphone is one musical tool that has revolutionized the way we hear and portray music, especially live. The microphone’s purpose is to help record music and even allow the singer to inflict emotions with a wide range while still being heard. The microphone translates sound vibrations into electrical sounds allowing it to capture the most minimal and softest sounds. This way, it can capture all emotions and techniques a singer has to convey a passionate and pleasing feeling to the listener. The only experience I have with the microphone happens when it is attached to a speaker. When giving this speech, I quickly noticed how delicate a microphone is. If you were too far from the mic, the audience could not hear you, and if you accidentally bump it, it sends off an unpleasant screeching sound. Although not the best experience it was still a nice occurrence.

The piece of music I selected is Camilo Sesto “Getsemaní (live 1977).” The microphone although not influential it allowed Camillo Sesto to express his voice in a variety of different ways. In the video, you can hear the different sounds and techniques he is using to create character and style to his voice. https://youtu.be/bY2eW9-mA1U

1. I like when you say how the microphone can “inflict emotions with a wide range while still being heard.” As a singer myself, I feel like when I try to make myself louder, my voice changes and I have less control over it. But when I sing softer, I cannot be heard as well. For this, the microphone definitely helps keep the quality of my voice while amplifying the sound allowing others to hear it.