Home » Posts » Blog 2 Wallace

Blog 2 Wallace

The two listening examples I chose to use were Alapana from Sitar, Sarode, and Tabla, and Kyrie from the Pope Marcellus Mass, and the three musical elements I will be discussing in tandem with them is harmony, texture, and melody. Harmony is defined as the sounding of two or more pitches at the same time, and in Alapana, the harmony of the song was definitely consonant, as the song was pleasing (to me at least), and there were no harmonies that clashed or were extremely different from one another. In addition, the song had a conjunct melody (a unit of pitches [or tones] sounded in succession – one after another). It was conjunct because the time between the pitches was very short and not that far apart. The texture (the ways in which different musical parts fit together) of the song was polyphonic, as the different instruments playing each played different melodies at the same time.

The second musical piece I listened to expressed these same elements, but in different ways. The harmony of this mass is still consonant, pleasing to the ears, and satisfying. However, the melody is disjunct in this musical piece, because there is a long distance between the pitches that are played. Another difference is that this musical piece is homophonic, which means that it has melody plus it also has chordal accompaniment.