Home » Blog 1 » Blog 1 Yi

Blog 1 Yi

The Twentieth-Century Period was a time period where most things transitioned to technology. It was where there was a significant change in how people lived. What excites me the most about this particular time period is how electrical instruments were created to make different sounds. It mentions in the textbook reading how tape recorders, for instance, were used to manipulate sounds to make them sound different. I found the fact that you could change up the sounds to make the same sounds sound different as fascinating. During this time period, one event I know is the infamous Holocaust which was where millions of Jews were murdered by the Nazis during the Second World War. The textbook describes the music from this time period as the music that would “explore the dark reaches of the unconscious mind”. An example of this would be where John Cage performed absolutely nothing at all and called the noises from the concert hall “music”. 

One composer that I picked listed under that time period at the end of Chapter 1 is Igor Stravinsky. I picked “The Rite of the Spring” because I liked how in the beginning of the song it started off really calm but as the song kept playing it got faster and more dramatic. The beginning of the song did not seem like what I expected after reading the textbook. However, towards the 2nd quarter of the song, it did seem like what I read about in the textbook. I felt that “dark” image from it. 

1. When I was reading your blog I was really fascinated by the John Cage comment. I find it so cool how he called the sounds of the music hall “music”, that is really a different way to see music and I thought that was so awesome. I agree with your statement on the excitement of electrical instruments. Till this day I still find it so cool how you can make so many different sounds just from one instrument.

2. When I was reading your blog I was really fascinated by your John Cage comment. I find it so cool how he called the sounds of the music hall “music”, that is really a different way to see music and I thought that was so awesome. I agree with your statement on the excitement of electrical instruments. Till this day I still find it so cool how you can make so many different sounds just from one instrument.