Home » Posts » Blog 2, Wang M

Blog 2, Wang M

The pieces I chose to listen to were Alapana from “Sitar, Sarode, and Tabla, and  Kyrie from the Pope Marcellus Mass. I chose these two pieces because the texture of the music is very different from each other since in Pope Marcellus Mass it is monophony, so it does not include the use of timbre, but it includes a harmony to allow the music to play more smoothly with the different sound pitches at the same time. Throughout the song, there was a conjunct in the melody allowing, the song to be sung in a chord without distributing the harmony.

In the piece Alapana, we can determine that there was a consonant type of pitch allowing the harmony to sound more pleasing and calm to the ear. There was also a timbre in the piece utilizing the sound of a banjo in the background to be combined with the texture of the song. As the song continues to play, the tempo of the piece starts to increase, with a measure of the slow-fast type of beat during it. I feel like this piece has a biophony type of texture because of the two separate type of melody being played.

1. Hey, I like how you identified one of the instruments that were used in Alapana in order to show how timbre was included in the piece, in contrast to Kyrie from the Pope Marcellus Mass. I also liked that you recognized the texture of both of these songs.

2. Hi, I agree with the fact that the two musical pieces are very different and I liked how you noticed how the tempo for Alpana from “Sitar, Sarode, and Tabla” started to increase and maintained as is.

3. Your analysis of the second piece was very in depth. I didn’t listen to it but you described it very well. As for the first piece, I agree with you on it as the use of harmony was used to make it sound more soothing