Home » Posts » Blog 9 Wong

Blog 9 Wong

The connection Mittens by Frank Turner and Heartbreak Hotel by Elvis Presley has on the topic of Music and Breakups is pretty clear. Both songs are about the artist’s emotional experience with heartbreak. This person mentions the decrescendo that happens in Heartbreak Hotel and the bright sound of Mittens. Both of these musical characteristics work towards the student’s first introductory slide because they both help people relate and feel better about their situation in a real way.

I would pick songs that focus the artist’s revival after a break up. Some songs that come to mind are “thank u, next” by Ariana Grande and “Irreplaceable” by Beyonce. A lyric found in Grande’s song is “I ain’t worried ’bout nothin’/ Plus, I met someone else/ We havin’ better discussions”. A lyric found in Beyonce’s song goes ““I won’t lose a wink of sleep / ‘Cause the truth of the matter is replacing you is so easy”. Both of these lyrics show how the artists are moving on from their break ups into a new empowering state.

These songs connect to the topic because they are not only songs about a break up, but also show a strong attitude toward a rather sad situation. My topic Music and Childhood probably would not connect very well with these songs but might be a part of an artist’s adolescent years that impacted them significantly.

1. Ooo! I love this topic but it is a little too similar to my music in marriage topic. When I think of music in breakups my mind immediately goes to Beyonce and TLC! My personal favorite is no scrubs, it one of the getting over phases