Home » Posts » Blog 2 Lu

Blog 2 Lu

The two pieces of music I chose to listen to were Alpana from “Sitar, Sarode, and Tabla” and Kyrie (Monophonic) and how they connect to musical elements such as Melody, Harmony, and Texture. In Kyrie (Monophonic) the Melody is disjunct and kind of repetitive so you get used to what you’re listening to. Also it’s quite slow and not as cheerful. There was no Harmony in Kyrie (Monophonic), Harmony is the sounding of two or more pitches at the same time. The texture of this piece is monophonic meaning it’s an singular musical line without accompaniment. overall the musical piece was sort of sad to listen to. It sounded like it was someone singing alone in a big empty room.

In Alpana from “Sitar, Sarode, and Tabla” the melody of the piece is Conjuct which means there were short distances between each pitch. The Harmony was consonant as it sounded pleasing to the ear. All of the parts of the music sounded great altogether. The texture in my opinion was Biphony. I constantly heard this same sound in the background throughout the piece and I think thats what a drone is.

1. I really liked how you described Kyrie (Monophonic), as a disjunct and kind of repetitive because I wasn’t able to figure it out so I chose to do other pieces. I also think that in Alpana, the melody of the piece was conjunct because there was a very short distance in between each pitch.

2. Hey! I also agree that In Alpana from “Sitar, Sarode, and Tabla”, it had a very pleasing, calm and relaxing sound as you were listening to it. I also constantly thought that this music piece was also biphony because that means it has two different, simultaneous melodies. I also observed that when I was listening to it.

Also I realized that in Kyrie (Monophonic), the music sounds like its floating. The music is also very narrow in range. Also the meaning behind this piece of music meant (Lord have mercy), so I agree this sounds like it made in a quiet room, but for God since it is a religious piece of music