Home » Participation » (Extra Credit) Participation Post for Music and Gender | Week of 4/15-4/22

(Extra Credit) Participation Post for Music and Gender | Week of 4/15-4/22

To receive five points of extra credit, please leave a comment on this post with your responses to the questions asked in the lecture videos for Music and Gender. Like with blog posts, you are also expected to leave a substantial comment in response to one of your classmates. You can access the lecture videos on this Youtube playlist or from the course schedule. Lecture videos are uploaded on Wednesday evenings. Participation comments are due by Wednesday 4/22 at 11:59pm.

1. 1) Without the words, what kind of story are these actions telling? What does the story have to do with gender?
    Compared to the first version, the second one without words makes it more confusing for the viewer. The audience member has to really focus on the actions, and body languages of the opera performers to understand what is going on. Based on their actions, it seems as if a man has broken into a woman’s house, and attacked her. As they continue arguing back and forth, and relocating to different rooms, the man on the side does not get involved and just watches them. This can reflect on gender disputes, since the man seems to be more superior and in control of the woman. Also the woman is outnumbered by these two men, which is a realistic feeling that women can have in society and voicing their rights.

2) Which version of events do you prefer? Why?
    Personally out of the two events, I would prefer to watch the first one. I chose the first one because the lyrics and translation help clarify what is happening in the scene. It is also acted out on a better stage and more intensely which grabs the audience members’ attention. One can clearly see the control the man has over the woman.When the woman was crying out for help, it drew back attention to stereotypes of women. This connects back to salaries and voting rights that women had to struggle with, even to this day.

• I enjoyed your interpretation it is interesting to see how different people think about the situation when you don’t really know what is going on. I completely agree with how gender roles were presented very stereotypically.

• Your interpretation had a love of similarities to my post. The second version was pretty confusing since there weren’t any subtitles and a true understanding of what is going on. We saw the name Anna on the door and we had to assume that is her place. I also liked how you pointed out the woman was outnumbered in this clip since there was two men in the clip.

• I liked your view, and to see what you think about different people in different genders. And the roles that society gives them. I also really liked how you mentioned how the woman was crying for help, and what you thought of the situation. I also agree with you that that Anna was a lot more calmer than Don himself. This is because this is how gender role works nowadays. Woman are also expected to act to be more calm while men show there aggressive side towards us. Unfortunately this is how society is.

• I liked your view, and to see what you think about different people in different genders. And the roles that society gives them. I also really liked how you mentioned how the woman was crying for help, and what you thought of the situation. I also agree with you that that because this is how gender role works nowadays. Woman are also expected to act to be more calm while men show there aggressive side towards us. Unfortunately this is how society is.

• I agree with your answers to the questions in the Music and Gender Video lecture. To be specific, i enjoy how you correlate women’s voting rights and stereotypes associated with women and its connection to the physical attributions of the male character.

2. 1) When there is no context or words included the storyline completely changed. The production and lighting in my interpretation make it look like the man was visiting a brothel. The woman’s name is plastered in cursive lettering giving off a sensual feeling. As for the acting, the woman is a lot more sexualized. Her dress is more revealing and her actions/expressions suggest shes much more comfortable with this man. In the beginning, it seems as if shes was trying to calm him but when that doesn’t work they argue. At no point though does it seem like she is threatened or terrified by him. This new staging reflects gender roles perfectly. The woman even though confident is never fully in control of the man’s actions. Therefore it reinforces the gender role that men are impulsive and are prone to lash out while a woman is more delicate and reasonable.

2) I prefer the first version of events since it has a clearer sense of the story. Even though the second version is interesting and fresh I feel like it doesn’t express the storyline well. The inclusion of the lyrics also allows the viewer to understand what is happening. As for the acting, the conflict in the first version its expressed better. The fighting and domination of the man clearly expressed which lets the viewer know that something unpleasant has happened.

• I also agree with your interpretation! I agree with you that the first version is the best because then you at least understand what is going on instead of trying to figure it out. Also, I agree that it showed that maybe she knew him from before after the mask was off because it seemed like she was very comfortable with him and actually knew him which is why she was going even more closer to him. I agree that Anna was way much more calm than Don because that is how gender role works in this case and how woman are suppose to be more calm while men are suppose to show as aggressive.

• I agree with your post about the women being more sexualized as I agree as well. I also liked you point about how it seemed that the woman was trying to calm him at first, as that is something that was definitely not shown in the first version of the opera.

3. 1) Without the words, what kind of story are these actions telling? Without words in the video, it is harder to really understand what is going on in the story. I feel like without words, you really have to focus on actions that the three characters are making or their body language which helps reveal the majority of the story. This was very well set up to help understand it. In the first half of it, it revealed that it was the servant who was watching over Don Giovanni(the wealthy man) whereas in the second video, there was no way that one can assume that, that was the servant. It could infer that it is some random guy watching and being nosey. That guy was just staying out of all this mess and was just standing there in the corner. Also, It is not clear that he actually broke into the house because he was already there and it seemed like they had some type of argument and the woman was trying to convince him and hope that his mood gets better. The girl’s dress seemed to be more revealing, but then at the same time she was moving and in a way she seemed like she was trying to seduce him to help him to make his mood better. The woman seemed calm and comfortable with him as if she knew him even after all this was happening. I also noticed that there were stains on the girls dressed as if they just finished fighting, yet the girl was very calm. Also, in the video, the guy wasn’t wearing any mask as he was in the first half of it, so now his face was revealed and it seemed like the guy knew him very well to allow him to be in the house.

2) What does the story have to do with gender? This story deals with gender roles some feminine traits are non aggressive, passive, sensitive to others feelings, curvy lines maybe a sign of insecurity, whereas masculine traits are aggressive, less sensitive to others feelings, active, rarely cries, cruel, violent, etc. In this case, Anna was trying to convince him to fix his mood and communicate with him while he was aggressive and didn’t listen. Anna was also passive accepting or allowing what happens or what others do, without active response. Even if Don was wrong, she seemed sensitive and seemed to care about his feelings over him in a way that she will allow him to do whatever he wants. Also, girls are known to be more insecure, so maybe the curvy lines were a way to show her imperfections or say that her life wasn’t perfect, as compared to men who are more straightforward and someone who won’t really care about anything related with that.

3) Which version of events do you prefer? Why? I prefer the first version because it is clear what is happening due to the translations and then you can clearly tell how the guy broke into the mansion and how she is fighting back with him and also you can hear the anger in her words. She is shown as aggressive. It just helps create the scene as a whole and helps with understanding the actual performance. It is clear that something negative is occurring in the scene.

• Hi! I liked your interpretation and explanation for question 2. I liked how to mentioned the sensitivity of Don Anna. It is definitely part of gender roles. Many times, women feel like that man/men are superior to them and feel like they must sympathize and do what the men want. In addition, I liked how you mentioned the trait of aggression in men. It seems like he acted in a more impulsive fashion which explains why she was sensitive toward him.

• I liked your interpretation for of the second question. It was interesting that you said the curvy lines were meant to show her imperfection, I didn’t think of it that way initially but I would see how that makes sense and I agree

4. 1.Without the words,what kind of story are these actions telling?
    2. What does the story have to do with gender?
    3.Which version of events do you prefer? Why?
    Without the words, it seems like Don Giavanni and Don Anna are in a relationship. Don Anna does not seem to be held hostage or attacked by Don Giavvani. It seems like Leporello is just watching the two of them interact. The story has to do with gender because gender roles are that the man will seduce the woman. Don Giavanni seems to be initiating all of the physical affection and touching. In addition, men in general seem to be more superior and act as the boss of the woman.
    I prefer the first clip because I found it more clear. In the second clip, I was kind of confused as to what was going on. I was unsure why Leporello was there and why Don Giavanni and Don Anna looked happy together. I was expecting them to be fighting. The first clip was very clear, especially because there were words. But, even without words, it would be more clear. It was very clear that Don Giavanni was fighting with Don Anna and was with Don Anna against her will. The conflict is very clear compared to the second clip where I don’t see any conflict.

5. Hi Professor,
    I am sorry, I accidentally clicked post comment before I was finished. Here is my final post. Please just refer to this post
    1.Without the words,what kind of story are these actions telling?
    Without the words, it seems like Don Giavanni and Don Anna are in a relationship. Don Anna does not seem to be held hostage or attacked by Don Giavvani. It seems like Leporello is just watching the two of them interact. Based on the story of the first clip, it does not seem like Giavanni is forcing his way into her house or fighting with her. It seems like they have a consensual relationship.
    The story has to do with gender because gender roles are that the man will seduce the woman. Don Giavanni seems to be initiating all of the physical affection and touching. In addition, men in general seem to be more superior and act as the boss of the woman. Throughout the clip, the woman seems controlled by the man. Even though she doesnt seem chained or held hostage to him, she seems controlled by him. Lastly, the ratio is 2 men to 1 women which gives the impression of the authority over her.

6. Without the words, these actions show us that they are in a relationship. Their actions and body language help us see a dramatic and conflict occurring. In the first scene, we see Giovanni holding Anna and not letting go of it. In a way, it seems like he is controlling her and he is basically telling her in a way to not leave him. It seems like it is not clear as to what exactly is going on. In my opinion, the father himself is missing out on the whole idea of what Giovanni is trying to present. I feel like in the second clip we see Anna looking very powerful in terms of her love towards Giovanni but he seems to be more of the type to initiate those love actions. In terms of gender, we see Anna in a pink dress which is different than the one in the first clip. We are able to see how sensitive she is when it comes to her feelings and it’s obvious she can’t control Giovanni. She acts lower than him in my opinion. He seems of a higher position and more of the type to control and take over others. Usually, that is how men are viewed as the head of a relationship rather than the women. However, women tend to feel like they aren’t strong enough compared to men when it comes to relationships. Giovanni seems very demanding as a man compared to Anna. Personally, I prefer the first version of the story since it was a lot more clearer to understand the plot of what is going on. I feel like just seeing Anna trying to pull away made it more clear to make assumptions as to what is happening. The lyrics as well were able to help us understand what type of fighting is occurring.

• I agree that Giovanni seemed very demanding as a man compared to Anna! The first version also explores that kind of relationship more since the audience member can see how he grips tightly onto Anna. It is also an easier version to understand the plot compared to the second one because of the subtitles.

7. 1.Without the words,what kind of story are these actions telling and what does the story have to do with gender?
    I feel that the story without words is much more confusing and the acting doesn’t really display what the story is trying to portray. It doesn’t seem like they are fighting or arguing as much in the scene, it seems more as if they are having a conversation. The other man in the opera was just on the side watching, and that was confusing as well as it didn’t really seem like he belonged there and he was just watching. It does seem as if they are in some kind of relationship because of their body language, as they keep going close to each other and he grabs her a lot of time in a romantic way, however there is no indication of anyone breaking into the house. The action of the women also didn’t portray the fear that she was supposed to be feeling as her face seemed more calm and her body movement was more swift and relaxed. This new version of the opera has many implications of gender roles. For example, the woman was more sexualixed as her dress was more revealing and lady-like. Additionally, she kept on being touched and her body movements were seducing, agreeing with the stereotype that women act that way with men. The man is also more aggressive and demanding in his movements and that displays the stereotype of male gender roles as well. The women seemed to be controlled and passive asas the man was in charge.
    2. Which version of events do you prefer? Why?
    I prefer the first version of events as I feel the storyline is more clear and the audience would be able to tell what is going on easier. In the second version, the woman was more passive and I think that defeated the whole purpose of the story plot, as she was supposed to be terrified considering what was going on and happening to her. I also think the second version made the woman more sexualized

8. Without the words it is really hard to understand that the individuals are actually very upset with each other. Especially when Giovanni grabs Anna and it seems as if it can be an expression of love (in the second clip) rather than violence. As well as their facial expression doing a poor job to convey their emotions along with the lack of words. In the first clip the setting of the stairs along with the words allowed there to be a build of emotional connection due to the being able to understand what was actually going on, the stairs gave suspense to the fighting couple because it is not a safe place to be arguing. In the second clip without the words and the plain set up of the stage did not fit the plot well. In the first version Giovanni had a very demanding attitude and body language which explains what gender has to do with the story. Anna seemed to be outnumbered by the two male characters and acted hopeless in a way. The version i prefer would be the one with the word (first) because it allows for a greater understanding of the plot.

9. 1.Without the words, what kind of story are these actions telling?

– When there is no unique circumstance or words that are put in the storyline totally changed. The creation and in my understanding made it seem as though the man was visiting a massage salon. The lady’s name is put in cursive lettering which creates a a more lust type of structure. The lady is much more sexualized. Her dress is all the more noteworthy and her activities/articulations proposes that she is significantly more ok and calm with this man. First of all, it appears as though she was attempting to quiet him down, however when that doesn’t work they contend. At no time however does it appear as though she is undermined or alarmed by him. This new organizing reflects sexual orientation jobs flawlessly. The lady despite the fact that certain is never completely in charge of the man’s activities. In this manner it represents the sexual orientation job that men are hasty and are inclined to lash out while a lady is progressively sensitive and sensible.

– This story manages gender roles some female qualities are non forceful, uninvolved, touchy to others emotions, though manly attributes are forceful, less delicate to others sentiments, once in a while cries, savage, and so on. For this situation, Anna was attempting to persuade him to fix his state of mind and speak with him while he was forceful and didn’t tune in. Anna was additionally detached tolerating or permitting what occurs or what others do, without a big reaction. Regardless of whether what she has on wasn’t right, she appeared to be delicate and appeared to think about his sentiments over him such that she will permit him to do anything he desires. Additionally, young ladies in our society today are known to be increasingly uncertain, so maybe there was an approach to give her flaws or state that her life wasn’t great.

– I favor the first version. This is because it is clear what is going on because of the interpretations. Also afterward you can tell how the person broke into the manor and how she is retaliating with him and furthermore you can hear the displeasure in her tone and the way she was speaking. She is appeared as forceful.

• It was interesting to see the correlation you made with the current society of young ladies and them being very vulnerable to others. It was interesting to see that statement you made, I enjoyed how you correlated everything the modern world today as well.

10. 1. Without the words what kind of story are these actions telling? What does the story have to do with gender? Which version of events do you prefer?

When analyzing both these Opera clips there are a few differences that I as the watcher perceive. Initially, when viewing the video without the words I got a feeling of toxicity and control between the male and female characters emphasizing the imbalance between the roles of male and female in a relationship based on their bodies and movements. However, when lacking words it leaves a lot of room for questioning a little in-cohesive. At the same time the location, lighting, placement of characters added a sinister-like/ seductive ambiance. In my opinion I believe the first version because it leaves less room for questioning and more of a clear and cohesive plot.

11. 1.Without the words,what kind of story are these actions telling?
    The first story is basically a man trying to control a women mentally and physically because he is grabbing her arm and refusing to let go while trying to manipulate her saying stuff like, he will destroy her and that she doesn’t even know who he is. However, when she fights back trying to keep him there waiting for people to come. This scene was interesting because when Don Giovanni was above her on the staircase, he was assuming control but when Donna Anna fights back, they are on equal footing. The second story is more a couple fighting with another person watching and a similar situation. The women is more submissive while the male is leaning toward and engaging her.

The first story had to do with gender because it showed the male dominance that is outraging right now because of his male superiority and controlling nature of pursuing women and whatnot. He is also notorious for being bad to women so in this situation he attacked the women and tried to control her. The second story is similar but more of a couple fight where they both just arguing but the male being more clearly aggressive with the touching while the women was more delicate and innocent which showcases a submissive nature.

I personally prefer the first one because it was more clear and precise in my eyes, and it was more detailed in the empowerment of women and the oppression of them. She was being oppressive with the Don not letting go but like the Rosie the Riveter poster, she gained will and empowered and fought for herself.